Saturday, June 27, 2009

Looks like we're back to diet trials

I haven't heard anything about the large shipment of food we were expecting, so I'm starting to resign myself to the idea of more diet trials for Louie. In a way, this is not a horrible thing, assuming we can find something that he'll tolerate, because then we won't be tied to a commercial product and vulnerable again to the whim of a manufacturer.

The vet at Royal Canin, Brett Mayabb, also suggested some commercial diets to our vet which we might be able to try. At this point, I am leaning more toward trying to find something that I can provide myself, as I'm really wary of being at the mercy of another pet food company.

I may also contact Monica Segal who runs a Yahoo group called k9kitchen, where I am an occasional lurker. I had considered working with Monica earlier, but was dissuaded by her wait time since I didn't have that much of Louie's food left. Now that I have bought some time for him with more cans of food, however, I have the time to wait.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, gee, I'm sorry to hear that the big shipment apparently isn't coming through. I do hope the food trial (with tongol?) goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so too. We started with tongol tuna yesterday and so far he's okay. He's had very small amounts, but it didn't take more than a small bit of the cod for him to react, so I'm pleased that he's doing well with the three meals he's had containing it so far.

    It's possible that the shipment may still come through; I just haven't heard anything and it's been more than two weeks since the requisition went in, so I would think they would know by now exactly what they have. We'll have plenty of time to work out a solution for him now, though, because of the food that was sent by everyone.

    ReplyDelete