Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Lymphangiectasia is NOT a death sentence

I've encountered several people over the past few months whose vets have told them, upon making a diagnosis of lymphangiectasia, that they need to be prepared for the inevitable likelihood of euthanasia.  In some cases this may have been the kinder course, but in other cases, where the dogs are not that far gone, I am not so sure.

All I can say is, thank goodness my own vets did not give up or let me give up.  I surely wanted to, a few times.

The truth is, there is just not a whole lot of information available about what works with this disease.  In complicated cases, such as ours, there is even less.

But, there are many survivors, and it helps to keep all of this in mind when considering the best course in your own case.

I'm not saying that the vets are wrong in what they know or that you should not follow their advice.  There are important components to treating this disease, and it is important for you to know that, if you have a vet who wants to throw in the towel, you should talk to another vet before making a decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment