Thursday, October 15, 2009

Cyclosporine use in Lymphangiectasia

Several weeks ago I was asked about our use of cyclosporine for the treatment of lymphangiectasia.  I did not have information at my fingertips then, but have recently stumbled again upon a WSAVA presentation from 2007 which talks about its use in treating intestinal disease.  Specifically, the paper states:

"A recently published study documented the therapeutic benefit of cyclosporine (5 mg/kg SID for dogs with IBD refractory to prednisone therapy. "

A footnote, for those with access to the scientific literature, points to a study in the Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine (which I haven't read) from 2006, cited as: Allenspach K, et al. J Vet Intern Med 2006;20(2):239-44.  I'll be taking a look at this study next week when I'm back at work, where I am able to download journal articles.

The WSAVA paper also talks about why the use of medium-chain triglycerides is no longer being recommended.  This is not to suggest that anyone should stop using them if they're having success, but rather to reassure those folks like me who wondered why they weren't told to use them.  The WSAVA paper is available at this link:





No comments:

Post a Comment